I am always looking for really simple designs so I can whip up a unique meal in minutes. This was one that grew out of lovely ripe cherry tomatoes that looked so lovely and wheel-like!
Fun food, simple and very quick.
– 2 pieces of bread
– 2 cherry or small tomatoes
– Cheese – for the window
– Egg yolk for the sun
– Baby spinach leaves (for the birds)
1. Slice the bread for the back of the truck using the longest side.
2. Then use another slice for the cab (it doesn’t quite fit into one slice of our bakery bread – they need bigger loaves!).
3. Cut arches for the wheels.
4. Slice two tomatoes in half to form the wheels.
5. Then add a cheese window and an exhaust pipe from the bread.
6. I cut some more of the bread to make the road.
7. Then cooked an egg yolk to make the sun (the cheats way is prick the yolk and cook for 5-10 secs in the microwave).
8. And as I buy big eggs there was enough yolk left over to make the sun shine.
9. I always want more greenery in my meals and spinach is a great one to use. I am not sure this works though.
10. Although I did like the spinach birds.
11. So I decided to banish the leaves and keep the birds!
The Art of Nutrition
Fun, healthy, creative food for kids big and small.