I wanted to create a party piece for Halloween and some crudites and dip are a perfect starter. I have used a home-made beetroot dip so I can make sure it’s healthy!
This is a fun plate that would be great at any time of the year ….. and then the gross addition (subtraction!!) of half a finger fits right into Halloween.
– 5 small carrots
– I used yellow capsicum (bell pepper) for the fingernails – you could substitute with sliced cucumber/celery/daikon/radish
– Dip – I used beetroot for the “blood” effect
1. Peel and slice the carrot in half and then cut into a “finger” shape.
2. Then cut an indent at the end for the fingernail to sit in.
3. And make enough for a handful! I used a smaller carrot for the little finger.
4. Then for the thumb slice the fingernail indent to the side and trim down so it’s a little shorter too.
5. I cut pieces of a yellow capsicum/bell pepper to make the nails.
6. And then used the left over pieces to make knuckles.
7. I made a dip.
8. And there is a great party plate to share.
9. Or if you prefer the Halloween (gross) version ….
Then cut off the tip of one of the fingers and dunk in the dip. I also added some beetroot juice to the end of the severed finger….
The Art of Nutrition
Fun, healthy, creative food for kids big and small.