Nothing screams horror like a haunted house. Although my house is more cartoon than fright!
This is a fun, simple to construct Halloween breakfast or light lunch and my boys were delighted with the house but not happy until I added the bats for full effect.
– 3 slices of bread. Ours is bakery so on the small side.
– 1 large egg
– 1 small tomato
– 1 large baby spinach leaf – for the bat
1. Cut a large piece for the centre of the house. It’s a very forgiving design as you can cut pretty much however it comes and it’ll look OK.
2. I used another piece of bread for a tower.
3. Then the 3rd piece of bread to make two side towers.
I added triangles to the top of them for roofs. I also cut corners off the first slice of bread and placed them on the top edge of the large piece. It just seemed to give it better balance.
4. I cooked the egg yolk and white separately. The yolk I cut into shapes to make the windows.
5. Then I used a slice of cheese cut to make a door.
6. And sliced pieces from the tomato to make window frames and a window for the door.
7. I used the white of the egg to make the moon.
And some pieces of bread for the steps.
8. Then I sprinkled some oat bran as stars.
And for my boys added some bats cut from baby spinach leaves!!
The Art of Nutrition
Fun, healthy, creative food for kids big and small