Two in the Bed
I love using my healthy pastry filled with hearty ingredients as a fun food centrepiece for a meal. Making and cooking the pastry doesn’t take a lot of time (recipe stored in Substitution Sunday section) and is very simple. It is also very flexible with lots of creative scope.
1. Make pastry
2. Roll out thinly and fill two greased tins. I have bought two baking tins from a catering store that I find very useful but anything that is the right shape would work.
3. Pre-bake for 20-25 mins at 180 degrees.
4. Fill with filling of your choice. I often use a healthy pie filling (will post recipe soon) or quiche variation.
5. Make mashed potato bedding (mashed sweet potato or other veg that hold together is a great substitute).
6. Cut a steamed carrot across the wide end to make a head (cucumber, parsnip or other cylindrical veg could be substituted).
7. Add “hands” by cutting indents into a smaller piece of carrot.
8. Make eyes from mash/peas/corn.
9. Fashion a nose and mouth and hair if you’d like.
10. Use your creative talents to display.
11. Serve warm with steamed veggies for a great meal.
The Art of Nutrition
Fun, healthy, creative food for kids big and small.