I had a lovely, juicy, bright yellow pineapple and as I was cutting it I was getting all these angular shapes. They made me think of lizards so common both here and in Aus. I cut a head shape and the rest just sort of formed itself.
The boys couldn’t wait to demolish this fun food lizard. Although there was too much fruit for one sitting so probably would make a better share plate or healthy party food recipe.
– Fresh pineapple
– I used honeydew melon for the spines & feet but other melon, apple, pears etc. would work
– I used blue berries for eyes but raisins/dates etc. are good too
Strawberry for tongue – or red apple/watermelon
1. Cut a head shape.
2. Then some ears.
3. I roughly cut some geometric type blocks from the pineapple to make the bumpy back of the lizard.
4. And kept adding them.
5. And adding them …
6. Then I cut a few longer strips for the tail.
7. And some more for the legs.
8. I used some honeydew melon cut into triangles for the spines along the back.
9. And some more to make the feet.
10. Blueberries made some lovely googly eyes.
11. And a strawberry cut in half and shaped to make a fork to create a dramatic tongue.
12. Get ready to tuck into this lovely, refreshing plate ….
The Art of Nutrition
Fun, healthy, creative food for kids big and small