Snowmen are such a seasonal icon, even in the Southern hemisphere where we’re sweating in our socks!!
This is a great, comfort fun food that the boys love to make themselves. It’s all a bit messy but tonnes of fun.
– Mash potato (do not make too soft)
– Carrot – for the nose
– I used peas for the buttons but any veggies cut into circles would work
– I used olives for eyes (peas/corn/carrots cut)
– I used roast pumpkin for the hat but roast sweet potato or carrot would be good
– I used beans for arms but then changed to carrot (or asparagus or strips of celery etc.)
– I used broccoli for some bushes
– I used cauliflower grated as snow (or cheese or oat bran)
1. Make the snowman by rolling the potato into 3 balls. Using hands works best!
2. Give him a set of buttons and some eyes.
3. Then put in some arms. I started with beans but then realized they didn’t show up very well with the dark plate so swapped them for carrots.
4. The hat was fashioned from some roasted pumpkin (or sweet potato). They are good to work with as they can be squished and molded!
5. Then he needed his iconic carrot nose.
6. I added some broccoli bushes.
7. Then grated some cauliflower to make snow.
8. And he would have been finished but he needed some new arms!
Ahh, those are more comfortable …
The Art of Nutrition
Fun, healthy, creative food for kids big and small