The ultimate substitution, swapping fresh fruit filled with vitamins and minerals for the standard party cake. Watermelon cake is delicious, light and refreshing. It is a great summer party food, especially when it’s hot and is very versatile. You can use any fruit for filling and its good fun to have people create their own individual slice. In fact, building your own cake is a fabulous fun food activity for all age groups.
When I serve at a party I will pre-cut the melon and then have bowls of other fruit to choose from to build a personalised slice, which doubles the fun & the delight.
– Other fruit
1. Cut a whole watermelon into wedges (pre-cut quarter or eigth pieces from the market/store work perfectly).
2. Cut slices to use for the cake. These must be approx. the same size so take from the same section of the melon. Slices work best if approx. 2cms thick.
3. The skin can be cut off or left on.
4. Place other fruit on the slice. A light fruit like banana/pear/apple works well as “icing”. For best effect have a slight overhang so the cake looks as though it is “oozing” its filling once put together.
5. Layer as many other fruits inside as you wish. Contrasting colours give visual appeal and of course different fruits yield different vitamins and minerals.
6. Add another slice of watermelon and repeat.
7. Finish with toppings and it’s ready to eat.
8. And there are so many variations …..
(If you are not partial to watermelon or would like smaller portions see “Petit Fours”.)
The Art of Nutrition
Fun, healthy, creative food for kids big and small..