The boys were soooo excited when I was making this. They could not wait to eat it. Unfortunately the photos do not do it justice as it’s hard to get perspective with the camera. The “lava” was a spectacle and they couldn’t wait to taste the “mountain”.
Here is my fun food egg volcano, perfect for breakfast or a main meal. It doesn’t take long to cook and you can serve on top of bread, rice or just some veggies.
– Tomato paste
– I used mushrooms, onion and spinach for the background
1. Separate the eggs.
2. Place bread on greased baking paper on a tray.
3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. I used a stick blender.
4. Fashion the whipped egg whites into a volcano shape on top of the bread (making a hollow for the sauce).
5. I spooned a little tomato paste into the well at the top.
6. Then added the egg yolks carefully on top of that and put them in the oven (180 degrees for 10-15 mins).
7. As the eggs were cooking I fried some mushrooms and onions.
And placed them in a ring on each plate.
8. Then I slid the cooked egg volcanoes from the oven onto the plate.
9. Which I had added some baby spinach leaves to.
10. Then the boys were able to puncture the yolk with their knife and let the tomato/egg mixture become the lava down the side of the volcano.
11. It was all very exciting.
12. And nutritious and delicious too ….
The Art of Nutrition
Healthy, fun, creative food for kids big and small