I had just finished making some Petit Fours from fruit and looked at the squares and they seemed to form a pattern and I couldn’t resist. A patchwork quilt for a cuddly toy jumped out at me and just begged to be made.
This is a really fun food, simple idea that anyone can create for a dessert, a shared snack or even for a special occasion.
– Squares of contrasting coloured fruit – I used watermelon and apple.
– Pear – for the head, hands and tail (apple would work for a rounder head).
– Blueberries – for eyes, nose and mouth (cut out pieces of other fruit would be OK)
– Mint leaves – for bow tie (any accessories you fancy)
– I decorated one of my blankets with blueberries cut in half and mint leaves
1. Cut squares of fruit to make quilt and pillow.
2. Cut the side from a pear to make head shape.
Cut pieces from the side and trim to make rounder for ears.
Cut slices from the ends for feet and cut another slice for tail.
3. Cut two holes for eyes, a triangle for a nose and a mouth shape from the head piece of pear. Do not be too worried about it being imprecise as the blueberries will cover a multitude of cutting errors!
Place two blueberries into the eye holes, the top of another in the nose triangle and slice around the bottom to form a mouth.
4. Put head onto pillow and loosely “tuck” under quilt. Arrange feet and tail and add bow-tie or other accessory.
5. Quilt can also be decorated if you wish.
The Art of Nutrition – Healthy, creative, fun food for kids (big and small)..