Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!
I wanted to go green today but wanted to try something a little different. Sometimes this is good and sometimes not so good. I decided to make flat bread but incorporate spinach into it. I’m always excited if I can up the dark green, leafy vegetable quotient!
The first test was a disaster as I tried steaming the spinach and then mixing through the dough. I knew as soon as I started it wouldn’t work (so the chickens get a treat!). The next batch I steamed the spinach then used my favourite kitchen toy – the bar mix. Perfect. The dough worked beautifully, cooked well and tastes good too.
Here is my fun food Leprechaun Hat made from spinach flat bread (which takes 5 mins to make and another 5 to cook).
– Spinach – I used a small bunch of flat leafed steamed and then made a paste
– Flat bread – I make with wholemeal flour and a little olive oil (for this batch I combined with the spinach paste)
– Avocado for the hat band
– Cooked egg yolk for the hat buckle
– I cut clover from baby spinach leaves (using my kitchen scissors)
1. I lightly fried the flat bread.
2. Then cut the top of the hat from the bread.
3. And then the brim.
4. I used avocado to make the hat band.
5. Then added a flower from baby spinach. Four leafed clover of course …..
6. I cooked an egg yolk and cut a buckle from it.
7. Before decorating the plate with more clover.
8. HAPPY ST. PATRICK’S DAY !!!
The Art of Nutrition
Fun, healthy, creative food for kids big and small