There are some amazing carvings to be made from watermelons. Alas I am neither that talented nor patient so do my simple versions of “carvings” which are met with gratifying enthusiasm from the mini chefs never-the-less.
Here is my fun food car. Easy enough to do and perfect for a party.
– I used apple, peach, plums and blueberries (any round fruit works for wheels or cut from apple/pear etc. the windows can be cut from any larger fruit)
1. Cut a chunk from the watermelon (roughly rectangular).
2. And then carve a front and back indent from the rectangle.
I made them slightly sloping (but then what do I know about cars ?!?!)
3. Before making the wheels from the cheeks of two plums.
4. I made the windscreen from peach flesh but later changed to apple.
5. Then cut headlights from apple flesh.
6. And brake lights from the outside of the apple.
7. Before adding peach indicators.
8. I used the peach again for the side windows (which I later swapped for apple) and plum for the door outline and front grille.
9. Then I cut more plum for the wipers and aerial.
10. And used little squares of apple to create a road.
11. Check it out from the side.
12. But I realised that lighter windows would look better so swapped the peach for apple.
13. Brrrrrum brrrrum off we go.
14. Or should we go that way ….
The Art of Nutrition
Fun, healthy, creative food for kids big and small