I was staring at the most beautiful cherry tomatoes in my pantry for days. They were just so luscious and red, there had to be a perfect vehicle to showcase them. And there was ….
I love to have one meal a day where we have lots of raw veggies and today its fun clown day!
This design looks really colourful and is super simple.
– 2 potatoes, peeled, sliced thinly around into circles and steamed (boiled) for face
– 2 Cherry tomatoes for nose and hat bobble
– 1 large celery stick sliced for hat
– Slice of red capsicum (red bell pepper) for mouth
– Carrot peeled into thin strips for hair
– 2 slices of olive for pupils
– 4 thin slices of red cabbage for eye crosses (could use any veggie you have handy)
– Decoration. I also used 4 wholemeal pasta spirals for additional hair and two baby spinach leaves and the top of a carrot for the bow tie.
1. Take the potato slices and make into a round shape for the face.
2. Add a tomato for the nose (slice the very top off so it doesn’t roll).
3. Use the sliced celery to build the triangular shaped hat.
4. Add a slice of capsicum/bell pepper for the mouth and two crosses for eyes.
5. Place the other cherry tomato on top of the hat as a bobble.
6. Add peelings of carrot as hair (roll around the fingers first to encourage them to curl). I also added a few pasta spirals.
7. Add slices of olive as pupils.
8. I used baby spinach and the top from the carrot to create a bow tie.
Healthy, creative, fun food for kids big and small.
The Art of Nutrition.