OK so every year I get into trouble from one of my Canadian friends (yes that’s you Suzanne) as I do a design for the US Thanksgiving but not one for the Canadian one.
Not this year, I shall be in the good books! HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all my Canadian friends and here’s a fun food plate to celebrate with. It’s really quite simple!
– Half avocado
– Cucumber (could use more avocado)
– Carrot (or sweet potato/kumara or cucumber)
– Celery (or other veg)
– I used cream cheese for the eyes (or regular cheese/inside of cucumber)
– Red capsicum/bell pepper for the wattles (or tomato)
1. Cut the avocado in half, peel and then slice the bottom so it’s more rounded. Make an indent at the top for the head to slot into.
2. I used a slice of cucumber for the head and elevated it slightly on another piece of cucumber.
3. Add a carrot beak.
4. And some red capsicum wattles.
5. A few globs of cream cheese with cucumber skin pupils made great eyes.
6. Then I cut her some carrot legs.
7. Before starting the tail feathers with some carrot sticks.
8. And then some celery. Bevelling the ends slightly on the tips and slicing so they fitted into the angle of the body at the other end.
9. I added alternate carrot and celery all the way round.
Then added a celery feather at the very top to fit.
11. And there she is in all her glory (I did bevel two of the feathers a little more ….)
The Art of Nutrition
Fun, healthy, creative food for kids big and small