I saw these lovely, grainy wholemeal rolls and couldn’t resist. Their shape just screamed car to me and so on a lovely, sunny day I decided to put together an egg salad for the boys.
Really, really simple fun and fresh you could even stuff in a lunchbox for a special fun treat
(with or without driver).
I did two versions, one with an egg driver and one with a celery/carrot driver
– Wholemeal roll (preferably rectangular shaped)
– Cucumber or large carrots for wheels
– Carrot for indicators/blinkers
– Corn kernels for lights (or yellow capsicum/bell pepper)
– Carrot for steering wheel
– Celery for bumper bars
– Boiled egg for driver (or carrot on celery body)
– Olive eyes for driver (or raisins)
– Chinese radish – I used for arms (or cucumber/celery)
– Hat for driver – I used radish for eggman and cucumber for carrotman
1. Cut a 3 sided flap towards the back of the roll. This becomes the seat for the driver. You will need to remove a bit of the inside of the roll to make space.
2. Add indicators/blinkers(pieces of carrot) and lights (corn kernels). If you make a slight hole in the roll you can push them in. I cut the carrots in triangles and inserted the pointy bit into the roll to leave the flat piece exposed.
Add a thick slice of carrot as the steering wheel (or cucumber/other round veg).
3. Add bumper bars. I used sticks of celery and stuck them on with some hummus I had in the fridge. I was rapt with them as they even had grooves ….
4. Add the egg. Cut him some arms and lay along the side of the “body”.
5. Give him some eyes and a hat so his head is warm in the convertible!
He looks a bit of a demon driver so look out on the roads …..
6. Add some cucumber wheels. I cut a small slice off the bottom so they stayed in place easily.
The boys thought he was fabulous and begged for another for lunch.
Mr Carrot takes the wheel ….
Healthy, creative, fun food for kids big and small.
The Art of Nutrition.