Gingerbread Veggie Man
I was wandering through the catering section of the wholesalers (Mummy heaven as my boys dub it) and saw the gingerbread cookie cutters. An idea came to me and yes, you guessed, it doesn’t contain any sugar …..but is lovely and healthy and fun …
Orange is an easy colour to get from fresh veggies so mashed pumpkin, sweet potato or carrot will work for this.
Although my boys are used to my designs they still loved this fun, really simple addition to the meal table. Even Roy was charmed (I think).
– Mashed pumpkin/sweet potato/carrot
– Buttons/eyes – I used peas
– Smile – I used a green bean
– Hand/feet décor – I used mashed potato
1. Use a gingerbread man mold. I realised that I didn’t actually own one so used a regular “person” mold instead.
2. Then to make him more “gingerbread like” I squished him once out of the mold.
Sorry, I am the queen of improvisation – especially when I get to use my fingers!
3. Add buttons. I used peas but any round veggie (or veggie cut into circles would work).
Then a smile. I used a sliced green bean.
4. Add the eyes.
Now he’s starting to look like a gingerbread man!
5. I added cuffs and feet to give him pizzazz using mashed potato.
6. Or the posh version ….
With olive eyes and carrot bow tie.
Healthy, creative, fun food for kids big and small.
The Art of Nutrition.