Baa Baa Blackberry Sheep
OK so we are officially mid-winter here so there is not a berry to be found anywhere. However, in high summer we spent a pleasant day by the river filling pots to overflowing with juicy blackberries which we lovingly froze in our chest freezer. I had promised the boys that mid-winter we would treat ourselves. And so we have.
Blackberries always look plump and almost fluffy to me so I knew just how to present them in a fun food way. Of course if you have fresh berries …..
– 1 Apple (pears or other fruit would work as well)
– I used almonds, pepitas and mint leaves for detail
1. Make the body of the sheep from the berries.
2. I peeled an apple and cut the white flesh to make the sheep’s legs.
3. Give her a head and tail!
4. Cut 3 sacks from apple flesh.
5. Give the sheep a face (a few bits from a berry)
6. And fill the sacks with “wool”.
7. Then I used some slivers of almonds and some mint leaves for ground.
8. And a few pepitas to give the sheep something to stand on.
9. Baa baa blackberry sheep. Delicious on its own or with a dollop of yoghurt.
Healthy, creative, fun food for kids big and small.
The Art of Nutrition.