Watermelon is just so great for designing as you have a giant piece of fruit to work with. This fun food plate was a lot more time consuming than usual (if you want to go the whole hog and put in the window panes) but the end result was worth it and the mini-chefs were delighted by the detail.
– Watermelon (or other large fruit)
– Pear (or other green fruit)
– Red Apple (plum or pear would work too)
– Desiccated coconut (for the clouds – yoghurt is also good)
1. Cut a big rectangle of watermelon for the house.
2. Then another rectangle with sloping edges for the roof.
3. Slice pear for the windows
4. Then more pear for the lower windows.
5. Before using apple for the chimneys.
6. All that was quick and easy. The window detail from red apple was fiddly and time consuming (and not essential!)
7. The roof looked a little detached so I added an apple roof-line.
8. Then some pear grass, bushes and tree.
9. And some steps.
10. Before finishing it off with some desiccated coconut clouds.
The Art of Nutrition
Fun, healthy, creative food for kids big and small