Flower Pot Veggies
I was looking at a pot of brown lentils one time and I thought soil. And then I thought flower pots. I went to the local garden centre and bought a couple of the cheap ceramic pots and started experimenting. From this my flower pot series emerged. The boys think it’s the best fun to eat out of a ceramic pot with a teaspoon. Even better when I make a selection of “flowers” and they can choose their favourites.
These are my lentil soil and cooked veggie versions. Simple, fun food and delicious. Use any veggies you have to hand and get creative!
– I used a brown lentil dish (with tomatoes, onion, garlic etc.). Any mince/ chilli dish/ bolognaise style dish would be fantastic.
– A selection of cooked veg. I used peas, cauliflower, carrot, corn, green beans and mashed pumpkin.
– I also used baby spinach leaves and half a cherry tomato.
Substitute anything you have to hand.
1. Fill the flower pots with lentil/mince mixture. The ones I bought have a drainage hole at the bottom so I plug it with baking paper.
2. I made a cauliflower, pea and green bean “flower”.
3. Then half a cherry tomato with cauliflower centre, corn detail and spinach leaves.
4. Pot 3 was filled with mashed pumpkin and decorated with green bean shoots.
5. And then the last pot was peas, green beans and carrots cut into shapes (badly!).
6. Then put them all together.
7. This is so versatile and there are so many other options ….
Healthy, creative, fun food for kids big and small.
The Art of Nutrition.