I had a whole watermelon and couldn’t decide what to do with it. I asked Max for suggestions and he said “sunrise”. Of course, why didn’t I think of that?
So here is Max’s fun food idea for a bright red piece of watermelon and some fresh pineapple. It’s a great share plate or party centrepiece.
– Piece of watermelon. I made a large sun from half a small watermelon but you could do a mini version from a cut piece.
– Some fresh pineapple (or apple/pear/melon)
– Mandarins – for the eyes (or orange/pineapple etc.)
– Oranges – for clouds (substitute as necessary)
– Raisins – for eyeballs
1. Cut the watermelon. I cheated and used a bowl as a mold as I am not quite mad enough to be able to cut perfect circles!
2. Place on a plate.
3. Add the rays of light. I used watermelon.
4. And pineapple.
5. Then made some eyes and mouth.
Using mandarin segments and a cut piece of pineapple.
6. Then I gave the sun eyeballs with raisins.
7. And used cut orange pieces for the clouds.
8. I thought maybe the sun needed a nose. Or maybe not?
Healthy, creative, fun food for kids big and small.
The Art of Nutrition.