Ricey Hot Air Balloon
Hot air balloons are such fun to make with lots of patterns and bright colours that give you so much scope for creativity. This is my rice and veggie version.
I realised that having a mold would make life so much easier so I made my own. This was actually the most time consuming and frustrating part of the whole exercise. I cut the inside out of the top of an old plastic pot as it was the oval shape (ish) I was looking for. I have washed and kept it for future use!
– Mold – (makes it easier but not essential)
– Cooked rice – I used wholemeal
– Veggies of your choice. I used peas, grated steamed carrot and corn
– Steamed cauliflower for clouds (ricotta cheese makes great clouds)
– I used a cut piece of eggplant/aubergine for the basket
– Wholemeal spaghetti for the ropes (any herb stalks or cut beans would be a good substitute)
1. Put a layer of rice into the mold.
2. Then a layer of peas.
3. Any veggies will do but contrasting colours work best. Grated carrot layer next.
4. Then some corn.
5. And a last layer of rice.
6. Then I took it carefully out of the mold. If it’s packed densely this works surprisingly well.
7. As usual I am disappointed by molds (even the ones I make myself) so squished it out to give it a more rounded shape. Again this worked remarkably well.
8. Then I added the eggplant/aubergine basket and spaghetti ropes.
9. And some lovely, fluffy cauliflower clouds.
Float gently into dinner …..
The Art of Nutrition
Fun, healthy, creative food for kids big and small..