3 Little Salad Pigs
I decided to put together a salad/coleslaw plate to be shared over dinner. Of course it is far more fun to have it in the shape of the 3 little pigs and this turned out to be beautifully simple. The boys argued over chimney, windows and doors but it was a small price to pay for their pleasure at the fun food plate.
I used Chinese radish/daikon for the straw house. The boys like it as it is very mild flavoured, crunchy and juicy. If it’s not readily available you could substitute for cucumber or cabbage.
– Carrot – for the brick house
– Red cabbage – for the stick house (or cucumber/sliced lettuce)
– Chinese radish/daikon – for the straw house (or cucumber/cabbage)
– Hummus, cheese, tuna – for the 3 pigs (substitute your own dips/accompaniments/ dressing)
– Baby spinach leaves – for grass (or lettuce)
1. Make the brick house. Cut the carrot into rectangular “bricks”.
2. Slice the carrot into batons for the roof.
And add daikon windows, door and chimney (it cuts beautifully).
3. Build the straw house from strips of daikon.
4. Then use strips of red cabbage for the stick house.
5. Add windows and doors to the straw house. I used carrot.
6. And to the stick house. I used Chinese radish.
7. Then we need a few pigs. I used a cookie cutter mold I had.
And made the first pig from home-made hummus.
8. Then the straw house pig from cheese.
9. And the final pig from tuna.
10. I added some baby spinach for grass and the whole scene was complete.
The Art of Nutrition
Fun, healthy, creative food for kids big and small.