Eye Health Kids
The American Macular Degeneration Society www.macular.org is celebrating “Healthy Vision Month” in May and as part of this have an eye health blog party on the 14th #EatRightForYourSight. I was delighted to be asked to be a part of this and promote awareness of how food can be a part of preventing loss of eyesight.
I have not prepared a traditional recipe (not my area of excellence!) but have done a food art plate using all those vibrant orange veg that are great for beta-carotene, Vit A and anti-oxidants and leafy greens great for providing lutein and Vit K (and loads more!).
This plate is aimed more at kids but as we know being chock-full of veggies right from the start is definitely the way to go!
– Orange Capsicum (bell pepper)
– Red Capsicum (bell pepper)
1. Slice carrot to make three heads.
2. Form a dress from spinach.
3. And another from kale.
4. Use celery to give the girls some legs.
5. Add an orange capsicum outfit for the boy.
6. Then celery legs and arms.
7. Give them all some orange capsicum shoes.
8. Cut little carrot hands.
9. Add corn, kale and spinach hair (the spinach changed to peas).
10. Cut large, healthy eyes from cucumber (the hair changes to peas!).
11. Give the boy a corn belt.
12. Cut a large red capsicum mouth for all the kids and some kale pupils.
13. Little bit of décor and all finished.
The Art of Nutrition
Fun. healthy, creative food for kids big and small