It’s tradition in my boy’s school for the parent’s from the penultimate year to make desserts for the Year 6 Graduation ceremony. I volunteered to make fruit skewers but wanted to do something a lot more special for the night. From this the fun food Fruit Flower Bouquet was born.
It looks really complex but is actually simple. It took me about 1 ½ hours to put it together although I’m sure I could do it more quickly next time!
– Flower pot
– Cabbage (I used this for ballast and to stick the skewers into. Potato/florists foam/apple would work too)
– Orange (I used this to cover the cabbage)
– Fruit – whatever you have on hand. Those that don’t oxidise work best. I used:
=Grapes – green and red
=Melon – Rockmelon/cantaloupe
=Melon – Honeydew
1. I bought a plastic pot from the garden centre and stuffed a quarter of a cabbage into it.
2. Then covered with a layer of sliced oranges to pretty it up!
3. Before teaching myself to make strawberry roses via U-Tube …
Giving them a stem covered with green grapes.
4. I made a few of them.
5. Then added some melon and blueberry flowers, made using cookie cutters.
6. And some melon and grape star flowers.
7. And melon and kiwifruit too.
8. I added some melon “leaves” on short skewers.
And some mini melon and half grape flower stacks.
9. Then I added some strawberry and pineapple flowers.
10. I bulked and coloured it up with some additional strawberries (just hulled).
11. Then used blueberries as soil.
12. All finished and ready to pick …
The Art of Nutrition
Fun, healthy, creative food for kids big and small