I reckon he should probably be Monsieur Tomato as he looks as though he’s wearing a beret!
I had some leftover mashed potato and some lovely, ripe tomatoes so my fun food Mr Tomato was born. He’s so simple to do and it’d be a great one to get the kids involved in.
– Large tomato (I used a vine ripened one and utilised the stalk)
– Mashed potato (or any other sort of mash or thick puree)
– Use anything on hand for detail. I used peas, corn, red capsicum (bell pepper), carrots and olives.
1. Slice the top off the tomato for the hat. I left the stalk on.
2. Then I formed a head shape from the mash and fashioned a nose.
3. And added some olives sliced into a circle for eyes.
4. Before cutting a mouth from red capsicum (bell pepper).
5. Then I made a moustache, cutting the olives lengthways.
6. I filled the olive eyes with pea pupils.
Then used blobs of mash with corn for buttons.
7. And there is Mr Tomato.
8. Or does he need some carrot ears?
The mini-chefs preferred him with …..
The Art of Nutrition
Fun, healthy, creative food for kids big and small