We were having a few people over so I couldn’t resist making a creative side plate.
This is visually effective but really quite a simple fun food plate. I have found that most children love hummus and when teamed with some freshly cut veggies it makes a great, healthy share plate for special occasions. This was served warm as a side plate and vanished in minutes.
I made the hummus as it’s easy and means I can cook without all the additives the store bought tubs come with.
– Pasta (I used wholemeal spirals)
– Spaghetti for the whiskers (I used wholemeal)
– Cheese (Edam)
– Olives – for detail
– Grated carrot for highlight
1. Shape some hummus into a “face” shape.
2. I slapped hummus around to stick the pasta to.
3. Then added the pasta spirals as a mane.
4. I shaped some ears and a nose from more hummus.
5. Then some whisker pads.
6. Before adding the eyes cut from cheese.
7. I used the cheese to give the ears detail.
8. Then made irises for the eyes from carrot.
9. And added detail to the face with slices of olive. Pupils, eyebrows and nose.
10. Before adding some whiskers.
11. Then I used grated carrot to liven him up and give him colour.
12. And here he is in all his majesty … ROAR …
The Art of Nutrition
Fun, healthy, creative food for kids big and small