I created this fun food Pear Kea back in Nov but hadn’t posted step-by-step photos. As I have received a request for detailed instructions I thought I may as well disseminate to all!
It looks really complicated but actually it’s quite simple (if a little time consuming).
– Green pear
– Brown pear
– Desiccated coconut
1. I drew a rough outline of the bird then began to fill in the body with chopped, green pear.
2. Then added more.
3. And began the tail.
4. Filling in the gaps.
5. Then started the larger tail feathers with brown pear.
6. Beginning the top wing with mandarin segments.
7. Then the bottom wing.
8. Slice the brown pear very thinly into curved strips to create the long, feathery wing tips.
9. And do the same on all the wings.
10. Add larger slices of pear to elongate the tail.
11. Use small pieces of pear flesh to create the white highlights.
12. And a beak.
13. Add a raisin eye and some pear feet.
14. Finishing with some desiccated coconut clouds.
The Art of Nutrition
Fun, healthy, creative food for kids big and small