For those who celebrate Easter fish is traditionally served on Good Friday. I thought I’d join in by putting together a fun food, fish plate (of the dessert kind!!).
– Melon (or apple/pear/stone fruit)
– Red apple (any largish contrasting coloured fruit is good)
– I used sunflower and pumpkin seeds for the sea floor
1. I cut the melon into pieces and then started to slot them roughly together starting with the mouth. Just make an approximate fish shape and it’ll come together!
2. I placed melon slices around the bottom.
3. Then some around the top.
See how messy and “unfish” like it looks at this time!
4. Fill in the spaces with more melon.
I used the softer flesh from the middle by the seeds to cover the lines.
5. Then cut the cheeks from an apple to form the tail and the lower fin.
6. And used some more of the apple to make the upper fin. I cut into rough rectangles and sliced the bottoms at an angle so the fin got gradually lower.
7. I cut careful slices out of the apple on the fin and tail to give them detail (cut only half way through the flesh).
8. Then I used more of the apple skin for a smile and the gill.
9. The eyes look so cool as they’re almost 3-D. I cut them from the apple flesh using a thick piece so they really stand out. The pupils are just a little of the skin cut into a rough circle.
10. And no fish would be complete without some bubbles (apple).
11. Before making a sea-bed from pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
12. A fun fish for Friday.
The Art of Nutrition
Fun, healthy, creative food for kids big and small